Monday, July 6, 2015

It's da Bahamas Mon



I was long overdue for a haircut. In Black Point Exuma the Rockside Laundry also has a sign for haircuts. I dinghy ashore and walk to the restaurant down the street to find the 'barber'. Two phone calls later the bartender finds Ida. "She'll be right by on her golf cart". So I wait out front for about 10 minutes and Ida comes by on her cart telling me she has to check in some guests at her cottage and will be "right back". I walk back down to the laundry to wait for Ida. And wait. And wait. And wait. Me impatient? Nooo.
I finally give up, hop back into the dink and and go back to the boat. About a half hour later I hear a call on the VHF from Rockside laundry looking for the guy who wants a haircut. That's me, eh? So I respond that I'll be right in. Arrive back at the laundry in 5 minutes and her son tells me she'll be right back. 10 minutes later we set up a chair outside to get started with the clip job. About the time she's spritzed my hair, she gets a phone call. The guys who rented her runabout didn't think to see if there was a gas tank before taking off. Made it about 2 miles before the gas in the fuel hose ran out. She sends her son off to fill two 6 gallon fuel tanks. But Ida doesn't have another boat. So she asks me to run the fuel tanks out to the stranded guys. We load the tanks into my dink and I zip over to them and off-load the fuel tanks. There's some trouble making the fitting connect but they finally get it figured out and I'm headed back to the laundry.
Ida finishes my haircut and it's $15 plus tip.
Total time for my haircut, about 3 hours. It's the Bahamas mon.



No comments:

Post a Comment